Background: The Federation is a peacefull organisation in the Alpha- and Beta- Quadrants of our galaxy. Based on cooperation and scientific advantage the United Federation of Planets commits itself to improoving the life of all citizens. The most important thing about the Federation is the spirit of thriving and growing, not only in a sense of materialism but mental and cultural as well.
Diplomacy and science are the most notable features about the Federation and its Fleet: Starfleet. But since the first noted enconter with the Borg in 2365, Starfleet became a more military oriented institution again. Most technologies intended to face the collective came in use when the Dominion began to invade the Alpha-Quadrant. The Klingon and later the Romulan Empire joined the Federation in order to stop the Dominion from conquering all known space.
Design Notes: The Federation is more straight forward speeking of the gameplay. For beginners it is the more difficult Deck, because it offers more Force but less Special Effects.
Design Notes: Heroes don't die. So this Card was invented to make even this aspect of the Star Trek universe a part of the gameplay.
1. You command the most powerfull Units of the Game. Although the Dominion can eventually block a strong attack e.g. with the "Dominion Orbital Blockade". Use "Escape Pods" to bring back "Deep Space Nine" or another strong Unit in order to break the Dominion defense.
2. Some Commands like "Cloaking Mines" are very likely to challange an opponent to continue playing, when she/he should retreat in her/his own interest. Use "Escape Pods" to regain the Command just before she/he collapses and use it again in your next battle. (This may be dangerous of course.)
3. This is your only way playing an effective Maneuver twice. Thinking of "Alliance" and "Cloaking Device".
Design Notes: This Card will give the Federation Player the option to cease a whole sector with little sacrifices.
1. There are three basic approaches to use this Card. The first one is to prevent the Dominion Player from ceising too much territory. This is a more defensive approach and should be considered the less effective way to use this Card.
2. Try to go to the offensive by playing this Card with a single strong Unit when you are in a good position to spare one. This is a really better way to play this Event.
3. With the right timing you can finish the Game by gaining the last Dominion Sector. This way you can even win the Game if your best Cards are allready gone and you can not pose a significant threat to the other Player.
Design Notes: As Section 31 usually targets individuals and due to the fact, that most Commands of the BCG are represented by persons, it seemed logical to implement Section 31 as a Counter-Command-Event.
1. Be constantly aware of the discarded Dominion Commands. This way you can make sure, that you do not waste "Section 31".
2. Sometimes it is not necessary to play "Section 31", but you should consider the possibility to surrender a sector temporarely.
3. If possible try to get rid of "Jem'Hadar Troops" by using "Section 31", especially if you can discard a second Dominion Command with it.
4. In combination with e.g. "Captain Sisko" this Card can shift the entire Fight and force a point blank Dominion surrender.
Design Notes: "Captain Sisko" is the strongest Federation Command to directly support a Space Battle.
1. If you can not boost a Unit in Space Battle any further (e.g. with "Ablative Armor"), "Captain Sisko" will give you the chance to get the last points of Force in order to defeat your Enemy. If you can effort to wait one Turn, you can play a Special Effects Unit with "Ablative Armor" later.
2. If you have a weak Hand, "Captain Sisko" can give you the time to get better Units or can cover weaker Units with Special Effects.
3. Play "General Martok" one turn before you use "Captain Sisko" in order to make it very possible to get two Sectors in a rush.
4. Very effective in combination with "Federation Tug Class".
Design Notes: "Constable Odo" combines a support for.
1. Play "Constable Odo" early in your turn to gain the biggest efect from his supporting Force. Yu will see, that over time one piont each Turn can make a significant difference.
2. With Odo you can cover other Cards that the Dominion might be able to suppres with "Polaron Technology".
3. You can also prevent "Blitz" and "Incubaton" by playing "Constable Odo" so you won't face any uncontrollable waves of Jem'Hadar rushing over you
Background: When the Dominion began to enforce its position at Cardassia Starfleet was worried about an invasion force gathering in the Alpha Quadrand. Therefore the U.S.S. Defiant began to cut off the Dominion reinforcements by deploying cloaking selfreplicating mines at the entrance to the Wormhole. This was what started the Dominion War.
Design Notes: This card really matches its description. The other Player is cut of from any aid by his Deck Pile or any other Card on the Table.
1. Best used when you already have some active Commands which support your Units. This way the Enemy Player will soon be out of Cards as he has to match heavy Attacks.
2. You may consider waiting for "Federation Starbase 375" or "Take Cover" in case the Enemy should decide to strike back with a mighty combination he accidentially holds.
Background: Once abducted and imprisoned by the Jem'Hadar General Martok knows exactly who or waht his enemy is. The Commander of the Klingon Defence Forces has a strategic mind and the heart of a warrior.
Design Notes: As the Federation Alliance is also supported by the Klingon Empire, we wanted to express the Klingon aggressiveness with a Command.
1. Play "General Martok" late in your Fight, when you are sure that you are about to win.
2. Keep in mind, that "Polaron Technology" can enable a Dominion Player to withdraw without facing the Effect of "General Martok".
3. Play this Card, if you feel that your Enemy is likly to make a strategic retreat, because he does nt want to waste Cards on the wrong batelground.
Background: Deep Space Nine's Tailor has a dark past. Rumor has it that he was a member of the Obsidian Order and this way responsible for the assasination of a number of alien officials and politicians. But he fell into disgrace and had to go into exile. When the Dominion occupied Cardassia, he began to help Starfleet Intelligence with Cardassian Codes.
Design Notes: Garak often prevented the Federation from getting cought by Dominion defenses. So he can make the Federation immune against any Dominion Command.
1. Use "Garak" to protect your stronger Units against Dominion support.
2. Keep in mind, that "Blitz" might overcome "Garak", so wait until this Event has been played.
3. "Garak" may be helpfull against "Jem'Hadar Troops" as it prevents your opponent from taking up the card and playing it again.
More coming soon each week...